Given there’s been a lot of questions surrounding the coronavirus (COVID-19), here’s a helpful FAQ for pet owners: https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=9548687
In general, please continue to practice best hygiene:
- Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the restroom, before eating, after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing, and before and after caring for animals, including pets.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Coughing or sneezing into your elbow or using a tissue to cover your nose and mouth, then throwing the tissue into the trash can.
- Staying at home if you’re ill with symptoms of respiratory disease, such as fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills, or fatigue.
- Restricting contact with pets and other animals if you’re ill, just like you would restrict your contact with other people. When possible, a member of the household other than the individual who is ill should care for any animals in the household.
- Those infected with COVID-19 should avoid contact with animals, including petting, snuggling, being kissed or licked, and sharing food. Those who must care for a pet or who will be around animals while sick should wear an appropriate face mask and wash hands thoroughly before and after interacting with those animals.